Sunday 31 January 2016

Handmade Kindle Cover

This year I am excited to be part of Ho Ho Ho and on We Sew hosted by Fiona at Celtic Thistle Stitches. A monthly link party to keep you motivated to make those crafty gifts for Christmas that can very often get lost in the December rush. By making an item a month, come December you can sit back and relax, well that's the idea! I am hosting the March link party and have got my thinking cap on for that one! In the meantime I have been inspired by Fiona to start planning early this year as some presents I intended to make in 2015 have been rolled over to 2016.

http://celticthistlestitches.blogspot.co.uk/p/ho-ho-ho-and-on-we-sew-link-party.html

This month I have made a Kindle cover for my father-in-law, he is an avid reader and his current cover is getting a bit old so by December he will be in need of a new one. This will work for any e-reader or ipad and could be scaled down for a smart phone. I used a book-print material for this one but I made my brother-in-law one for last Christmas which had stags on which seems to fit the Christmassy theme better!


























You will need:

Pellon -  (3 x width of kindle + 2") x (height of kindle + 2")
Outside material - 2 x size above
Bias-binding - 1½ inch wide strips
Button


Step 1 
Place the outsides right-side together and sew along the top long edge.

Step 2
Turn right side out and place pellon inbetween the fabric. Pin in place around edges and sew along the open edges.


Step 3
Using kindle to measure, fold right side over to form a pocket and pin and then sew in place along bottom edge.



Step 4
Sew buttonhole on outer flap.

Step 5
Pin and then sew bias-binding to cover the bottom and inside edges. Start with the inside edge of the pocket -the first time I did this the wrong way round and it meant I couldn't cover the edges with the other bias-binding, it took a long time to unpick!



Step 6
Sew on the button and you have a handmade kindle cover ready for Christmas!






 
Make sure you check out Fiona's page at Celtic Thistle Stitches for more links to Christmas and Holiday makes. One down, eleven to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment