I looked for local dressmaking classes last year but due to the job I had at the time where I travelled away for work most weeks I couldn't find one that would work. I considered getting a sewing machine and learning myself but I wasn't prepared to shell out for something I might end up being rubbish at.
I chose the blue fabric to make the vest with and I was pleased with how it worked out. Unfortunately I didn't think I had a zipper foot for the sewing machine and so the zip is not as well sewn as I would like. After I made it, I found a zipper foot and so I may try to amend this to make it look neater! I am planning to use the polka dot material to make a skirt and feel much more confident with using the machine and techniques to make clothes after this first attempt. The pattern came as part of a free booklet with a newspaper which was based on the tv series 'The Great British Sewing Bee' and it has some really useful sections.
Although by no means perfect I wore the vest out to a restuarant for lunch and it held up very well. Looking forward to making some more items over the summer!