Thursday 1 April 2021

March Recap - Weaving

This month's focus was weaving, which was completely new to me. I really loved learning and found it such a fun craft. It helped that it was a starter kit that my mother-in-law kindly sent me, so it came with all the instructions and resources needed to make a number of small weavings. 


The instructions were very clear and it didn't take long at all to get the hang of it. I loved that the basic technique is super easy so that once you know what you're doing, you can focus on adding colours and different textures to make it personalised and to your taste. I do like following patterns and working to make a particular item, such as a piece of clothing from a pattern but for this year I don't really have the time, energy or patience for that much focus! So something which is easy to learn but that you can then develop and be creative with is perfect for me right now. 

The first weaving I made was blue, grey and white. I just used yarn at first so that I could get used to how to make it even and swap between different colours. It looks a little uneven at the top so I am going to work on that in my next one, to try to get it to look as symmetrical as possible. 

In my second weaving I have used some roving, which is the much thicker material. You have to weave this over a number of strands of warp (the thin threads which run vertically down the piece) as it is so thick and it creates lovely texture and contrast. I still need to add some other colours but I am looking forward to creating a little collection of weavings. 


I am really pleased with what I have created and although my first piece wasn't perfect, I am very pleased to hang it on the wall. I think in the future I might invest in a bigger kit to make a larger piece, I think a large wall hanging somewhere in our next house would be fun. Just need to find the house first.!...

2 comments:

  1. These look great Danielle I really like the effect that the roving gives, look forward to seeing what you do next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. The boys think the roving looks like clouds, which I'm happy with :-)

    ReplyDelete